Why Is Leadership Training Important In an Organisation?Graeme Cooper
All organisations, whether they are commercial businesses, sports teams, non-profit social enterprises or government departments rely on leadership to some extent or other. Bear in mind that leadership does not always come from the top of an organisation. In any institution or business that is run well, leadership models will apply at every level of management throughout the entire hierarchy.
Of course, great leadership does come from those in the most senior positions, but this does not mean that everyone else always follows the lead. Conversely, when an organisation is firing on all cylinders, intermediate and lower level managers are empowered to provide leadership, to make decisions and to find ways of improving. This is what leadership training can help to engender in your organisation, too.
Why is leadership learning so crucial to modern businesses and other organisations?
- Firstly, organisations which invest in leadership training obtain team members and junior managers who are better equipped to direct day-to-day business. When they are able to lead themselves as well as those around them, fewer low-level decisions are passed up the hierarchical structure for further oversight which means working in a more efficient manner.
- Better morale is often a highly desirable outcome from leadership training. To begin with, those managers who undergo it will feel that they are better valued by their senior management team. In addition, it will mean that junior managers are better equipped to augment the morale of their teams, something which reduces staff turnover and improves employee retention. This has an obvious cost benefit to any organisation.
- Greater confidence is something that any organisation can benefit from. When people are empowered to lead and take the right decisions – within a suitable management framework, of course – they will often conduct themselves in a way that comes across more self-assured. In turn, this will create the right impression among your clients who pick up on an emboldened team and feel more enthusiastic about your brand identity, as a result.
- Leadership training is necessary for any organisation that wishes to grow. When your commercial success outstrips your ability to grow properly, your organisation will necessarily suffer at key times. However, when managers are trained in the art of leadership, they will be able to cope with growing teams and even the addition of sub-teams. Put simply, greater ability in management leadership means being able to deal with the rising demands of growing enterprises as they reach the next level and even enter into new market sectors.
- Organisational structures are extremely important in both public sector organisations and commercial enterprises. When leaders focus too much on the teams and individuals beneath them in a management structure, there is often not enough liaison and cooperation between departments. Good leadership means spotting problems in other areas of the organisation and reacting accordingly for the benefit of the entire institution. In short, leadership training helps managers to look horizontally as well as vertically within their organisational structure.
- Finally, leadership training helps managers to come across as a real human-being who can relate properly. Not all aspects of leadership are tied up with decision-making, after all. Knowing what constitutes true leadership means also understanding that listening and empathising is just as important.